Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Comedy weekend

I think I like to theme my weekends. I guess when I get in the mood for something, I really have to go all out. I love watching comedy. Unfortunately, as I have said to many, San Diego has a horrible comedy scene. I has to do with a number of factors including lack of good clubs, it's proximity to LA and the audiences that really are not trained to watch comedy. So the fact that I watched two great shows this weekend, was awesome.

Friday Night
I hardly ever pay attention to the supposed deals that show up in my junk mailbox. They usually include 2 for 1 deals to HOB or a ladies night to some club I have never heard of (but the way, I HATE nightclubs). I was surprised and excited to see 4 free tickets to see Greg Behrendt listed on Thursday. I love Greg Behrendt's style of performance... he is intelligent and honest. It feels sort of like your best friend is telling you about an embarrassing story from college; you feel like you were there and goddamn was it hilarious. The connection he makes with the audience is on that personal level. I know much of the audience was there because of his books, his TV show or the fact that he has some connection to Sex in the City (he wrote for the show). But everyone had a great time... and kept their cool.

Saturday Night
We had friends come in from out of town that day. They wanted to go to Comic Con but realized that they need to plan ahead a bit better (as many realized). Anyhow, big comedy fans themselves, they had bought tickets to the Riff Trax Live! show at the Balboa Theatre downtown. I figured since our choices were 1) Royal Crown Revue at HOB with the Derby Dolls, 2) game night with the Derby Doll refs in East county or 3) see Riff Trax Live! at the historic Balboa Theatre doing Plan 9 from Outer Space with friends from college... I went with the third option since I have never been to the Balboa Theatre since it was renovated, I wanted to hang out more with my college friends and I liked Mystery Science Theatre 3000, so this should be awesome live.

Watching Plan 9 (the color version), was hilarious in itself, but adding the subtext of the Riff Trax crew was gut busting. I had seen the movie before, of course making fun of parts (since it is the "worst movie of all time"). But I guess there were details of the movie that I hadn't seen before... I was rolling. If you ever have a chance to see them live... (like perhaps at San Francisco's Sketchfest), do it!

No comments: