Thursday, January 21, 2010

Coachella 2010

I love me a festival. Art festivals, comedy festivals, film festivals, any large scale massing of purpose. Of all festivals, music festivals top them all. Coachella Valley Music and Arts Festival, the biggest and baddest of them all happens each spring (April 16-18, 2010), kicking off the summer music festivals. I have yet to go, but man, at some point, I've gotta make this happen.

The excitement and speculation begins at the start of each year, as bands begin to post their tour dates. Is there a gap during the festival? Who is reuniting for this year's festival? Lots of rumors flying on blogs and Twitter. Everyone wants to know.

The day finally comes. Tuesday, January 19. Bloggers and music nerds alike were on the edge of their seats as fake event posters with fake line ups circulated late Monday. The anxiety grew as people who wanted to be in the know, stayed up past midnight to find out who was playing. Coachella organizers chimed in on Twitter stating,

@coachella: "when we said tuesday, we really meant Tuesday, like during normal waking hours. xxoo"

After waking twice during the night, due to a fussy baby, we awoke in the morning to the ominous message:

@coachella: "the time has come"

Radio stations and media outlets were released the line ups to be broadcast out to the masses.



Diversity in the schedule means that there is something for everyone. Just like Kristian with SD Dialed In, Sunday is my preferred choice out of any of the days. I have seen Muse on several occasions and can't imagine  I really could care less about Jay-Z.

I remember the first time that I heard Gorillaz, "Clint Eastwood" off of their first album (self titled), when I was in New Zealand. Knowing that most music varies per country, I bought the CD, soaked in what I could and came back to the states. The second album, Demon Days took over the airwaves in the states with Dirty Harry, DARE, and Feel Good, Inc. So excited to see these guys.

Some of the other bands I am excited to see on Sunday's line up: Phoenix, Spoon (love, love), Julian Casablancas, Sly and the Family Stone, MUTEMATH, the Big Pink, and Sunny Day Real Estate.

The rest of the weekend is decent with my interests including: MGMT, Coheed and Cambria, Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros, Frightened Rabbit, Vampire Weekend, She & Him (I've been wanting to see them since they started), Them Crooked Vultures, Lucero, and Hockey.

"So are you going?" you ask. I would like to. But I will not be the first on in line to by tickets this Friday, January 22 at 10am. $269 for a 3 day pass, plus $55 for camping, plus money for food and drinks is way outta my league right now. Although... I am always looking for a sponsor, let me know if you can score something, otherwise, I will be forced to attend EarthFair for the um-teenth time in my life.

No comments: